The third round of the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational became once a wild, up-and-down Transferring Day that resulted in a neatly separated leaderboard (no ties within the tip 5) and a hideous setup for a fun Sunday produce. Brendon Todd leads by one over Ben An, and if Todd wins, he presumably becomes the frontrunner for PGA Tour Player of the Year with simply 5 events last.
His chasers personal some interesting tales of their personal even if. After struggling during the restart, each Brooks Koepka and Rickie Fowler are a glorious deal inner inserting distance, and perchance the entirely player for the reason that restart — Justin Thomas — goes for his third score of the season with a likely second predominant championship on deck subsequent week at Harding Park. Let’s dive into Spherical 3 and sit down up for what wants to be an extra special produce on Sunday afternoon.
Prefer the sharpest DFS advice, picks and records-driven golf prognosis? Hear below and subscribe to The First Gash Golf podcast the build we indicate what’s going on on the course so you could well perhaps perhaps also score off of it.
1. Brendon Todd (-12) — We’ve been here forward of with Todd. He led the Travelers Championship by three going into the final round there a month within the past nevertheless feeble laborious as Dustin Johnson went on to score. The worrisome fragment here is that Todd has gained over 2.5 strokes per round along with his putter, which is rarely any longer sustainable when names admire “Koepka,” “Fowler” and “Thomas” are lurking at the help of you on a Sunday afternoon in an enormous event. Todd could perhaps score on Sunday, nevertheless it be going to be a battle for him all day to evaluate out and withhold the tee-to-inexperienced game on the tracks.
2. Ben An (-11) — An caught fire on the help nine, the build he made four straight birdies. He can ball-strike it with someone at the tip of this board, nevertheless he doesn’t personal a high 25 since February, and I’d distress in regards to the inserting stroke on the help nine on Sunday. He hasn’t won on either the PGA Tour or European Tour since 2015 when he took the prestigious BMW PGA Championship, nevertheless he could perhaps no longer be terrified to lunge toe-to-toe with someone on this pack come closing time on Sunday.
3. Rickie Fowler (-10) — Refined produce for Fowler after taking pictures 32 on the entrance nine on Saturday (he and An shot a entirely-ball 61, by the technique). He had an actual likelihood to expend over the match on the help nevertheless feeble coming home. The silver lining here is that will perhaps also simply no longer be a inappropriate part for him. He’ll be chasing from at the help of, which is how he customarily wins, and he’s hitting the hell out of it this week to this level at TPC Southwind. I am bullish on his possibilities for victory on Sunday despite a light ending.
4. Brooks Koepka (-9) — Koepka had it going for a whereas on Saturday as he made 5 birdies on his first seven holes on the help nine. A bogey on No. 17 upended the momentum, nevertheless he’s a minimal of given himself a enormous gamble to lunge help-to-help at this event after a success closing 365 days. The topic for Koepka is quiet the putter, the build he’s losing strokes to the self-discipline. His ball-inserting has been completely on-level at some level of the week, which technique it be no longer complicated to evaluate him taking medications, taking pictures 66 and a success again on Sunday — this despite a lousy restart to what became once an already-lousy 365 days for the four-time predominant champion. A score here could perhaps be the last pivot from golf’s last swap-flipper.
5. Justin Thomas (-8) — I have been attempting to repeat you that Thomas became once going to pop over the weekend. He closed with a 31 on the help nine because he lastly began draining putts. He’ll play with nothing at all to lose on Sunday, which will be troubling for the final few avid gamers on the course as they struggle to take care of off his stampede. He stays within the tip 5 in strokes gained from tee to inexperienced this week.
T6. Phil Mickelson, Louis Oosthuizen, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Chez Reavie (-7) — Moderately a round for Mickelson, who has now gained strokes off the tee in all nevertheless one round and gained strokes on his approaches in every round. That’s to claim, he’s no longer simply preserving issues along with a smoking putter, which is correct news for him each going into Sunday apart from subsequent week’s PGA Championship at Harding Park, the build his riding accuracy will again be tested.
Look Unique Posts
Four birdies in a row for Ben An, and he’s tied with Rickie at -11.
JT coming around turn three! Birdies 16 and 17 to web inner four of the lead with one hole to lunge. Immense-time Sunday on deck for my bag to score.
Two shaky force from Fowler after he assumed the lead. Not great on 12 or 13. Resulted in bogey on 12, nevertheless appears to be like to be admire he’ll personal a two-putt par on 13.
Lefty and Brooks are T3 at -8 correct now, by the technique, four help of Todd. Immense hour increasing here as we expect about how much distance Todd can produce.
I … did no longer envision Phil Mickelson and Brooks Koepka being tied at this level within the match.